It is near the Oxford University Press, the Radcliffe Observatory, the University Parks and the Blavatnik School of Government.Colleges nearby are Keble College, Green Templeton College, St Anne's College, St Antony's College and St Cross College and the PPH's St Benet's Hall, Wycliffe Hall and Regent's Park College.There is a music room and the main Junior Common Room (JCR) with the Terrace bar behind Vaughan as the other main meeting place for students.Holtby is situated above the library extension, adjacent to Park.
Somerville has buildings of various architectural styles, many of which bear the names of former principals of the college.
The original building of Somerville Hall (originally called Walton House) was purchased from St John's College in 1879. The 1886-7 phase saw the construction of rooms for 18 students with their own dining-room and sitting rooms.
The house could only accommodate 7 of the 12 students who came up to Oxford in the first year. It also contains Green Hall, where guests to College are often greeted and in which prospective students are registered and wait for interviews. Most of the administration of college and academic pigeon holes are located in House. Somerville's dining hall is one of very few in Oxford to contain portraits only of women. The second created two sets of tutors' rooms and the West Lodge.
It has 10 rooms for undergraduates and is named for alumna Winifred Holtby.
Designed by Basil Champneys and opened by John Morley, Somerville College Library was the first purpose-built library amongst the women's colleges of the university.